Manners. Everyone knows what this word means. Manners are the proper things you learn while growing up that render respect and courtesy towards people. Majority of us in the world do grow up with parents or guardians or supporters who teach us these aspects but many aren’t. But it’s never too late to learn!
Saying thank you is also important when it comes to God. The only difference is that when saying thank you to people, it is a physical/social connection. While saying thank you to God, it is more of a spiritual connection to a higher being who has literal control over every single thing that happens around us. Wow, now that is powerful!
Let’s dive into the scriptures for an enlightenment on the power of saying thank you to God.
In Luke 17: 11-19 we meet ten lepers living in Jerusalem who came across Jesus one day. They pleaded for mercy and healing from Jesus who has no respect of persons. Jesus instructed for them to show themselves before the pharisees, and as they walked they were healed of their leprosy. However, only one out of the ten stopped before reaching their destination to turn around, return to Jesus, and say thank you. From that moment of joy and gratitude, Jesus blessed this man saying, “… Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.” Not only was he physically healed, but his faith, his spirit, and his mind was made whole.
Talk about a blessing!
Remembering to say thank you to God accomplishes a few but powerful things.
- It strengthens our faith – When you feel burnt out almost ready to give up, you should stop, take a minute to breathe, and tell the Lord thank you for getting you this far. That moment of positive thinking and spiritual connection with God regenerates you. The Word tells us that God is the light and there is no darkness in him. If you look upon God for your faith in yourself or in Jesus, He will guide you and never lead you astray. Saying thank you has just multiplied your blessings and strengthened your bond with God. Watch out, things are about to happen!
- It brings you comfort – We all face trials in our lives, big and small. But when it comes to God they all have no rank. God is a god of power, love, and mercy. He sees all things and knows all things. Telling God thank you for bringing you through another day, or taking care of your daily needs, strengthens your trust in Him. To know that everything will definitely be OKAY. God has a shoulder waiting for you to lean on. And when you take time to thank him for it, you not only causing the angels to rejoice in heaven, but you’re also giving yourself a peace of mind. Relax, honey. God got you!
- It tells God that you love him and hadn’t forgotten him – Yes our lives are busy. Our agendas are filled in and our phones are ringing off the hook. But even amid our hectic days, we must remember to say thank you Jesus. God knows we are human prone to sin and to forget things. That is why we live daily upon God’s loving grace and mercy. Try not to forget God by whispering a thank you while you’re driving, or shopping, or cooking, or working, or on the phone, or when you find time to take a breather. It not only relieves stress and tension, but it also recognizes the holy power that’s giving you the energy to make it through another day.
- It gives credit to where credit is due – God is our Creator. He created earth, the plants, the vegetation we eat, the animals, the birds, and even the knowledge we have to invent things. He is the source of who we are and what we become. He is the breath we breathe when we wake up in the morning and he’s our keeper when he go to sleep at night. Never forget to say thank you to God for thinking about you today. Thank him because he allowed you to be born, to live, and make it to the age you are right now as you read this. Give thanks to our Creator!
Here are two of the main reasons to say thank you to God:
First, he gave us his son Jesus Christ to die for us and redeem us of our sins and giving us salvation.
Second, thank you Jesus for dying for us. He didn’t have to, but he did so because he loved us.
Other reasons, but not limited to: He is our provider, our healer, waymaker, deliverer, gives us new mercies every day, protector, woke you up this morning, gave you a family, gave you good friends, a meal today, a home, a bed, clothing on your back, shoes on your feet, your life and strength, your functional body, your health, you family’s health, and the list goes on…
In Philippians 4:6-7 it says “Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.”
I love how this scripture says “Be careful for nothing,” meaning take everything into consideration when you pray and give thanks to God. No one in this world will love you the way God does. And he deserves all the praise, glory, and thanks. Show him some love, in the name of Jesus Christ, and in return God promises to fill our hearts and minds with His unadulterated peace.
God bless you, and Remember to say THANK YOU!
- Written by LeQuita C. Harrison
- See where you can find me and follow: https://linktr.ee/LeQuitasWorld